Tuesday 10 April 2012

Lucky 7: From Work in Progress


I've been twitter-tagged by Jenny Haddon to do the Lucky 7 from my work in progress. First I've heard of it, but this is how it goes apparently:
 
Rules are:
  1. Go to page 77 of your current MS or WIP 
  2. Go to line 7
  3. Copy the next 7 lines, sentences or paragraphs and post them as they’re written
  4. Tag 7 more writers and let them know.
OK, so here we go: 
 
“If you are able to perceive the unwisdom of your father’s conduct, Giles, it makes even less sense for you to be following in his footsteps.”
It was too much. Giles turned on his uncle. “How am I doing so? Do you suggest I have used Tamasine as my father used Violette?”
“I am suggesting nothing of the kind.”
“As if I would do so,” he persisted, riding over Francis. “She is the most innocent creature I have ever encountered. Only a monster would take advantage of her.”
To his consternation, his uncle pounced on this, shifting to confront him. “That is precisely the point, Giles. She is as innocent as a child, for her mentality is not much above that state.”
Giles stared at him, all his just resentment emptying from his chest and leaving it hollow. He thrust down on the snaking suspicions that had more than once attacked him. He would not doubt Tamasine. He trusted her, as he trusted his own judgement.
“If you disbelieve me,’ pursued his uncle, ‘let me tell you just what occurred this morning at the Dower house.”

 First draft, incomplete but actually in state of revision and this bit happens to be the first section I revised. Who would have thought?

3 comments:

  1. Now I want to know just what did occur that morning at the Dower house! Enjoyed this snippet, thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bex is so right. Am dying to know what happened this morning. Just at this moment, I'm thinking Giles is a lot more innocent than Tamsine.

    More, more, more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wooow, sounds good, and a first draft too! Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete